[SI-LIST] Re: Switching FET Slew Rate

  • From: Joseph Aday <adayjoseph-lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: npatel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:55:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Nikhil,

  I'm glad to hear that you've been successfull with that approach.  I should
have been clearer that that was what I meant.. applying the resistance in
series with the gate of the FET.  I guess it is the charging up of the
gate-source capacitance that results in the voltage threshold of the FET being
crossed for turn-on.. and the additional resistance reduces the current flow,
thereby making it take longer to charge up and longer to switch (correct me if
I don't properly understand this?)

  As for the thermal issue, I guess that would be because the FET remains in
the linear region longer before it goes into saturation?  This is a really good
point.. thank you.

  Thanks so much!!!
  Joseph Aday

npatel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  In the past to reduce EMI out of SMPS I have added resistance to the
gate of the FET and had very good luck with it. However this causes
thermal issues. Check FET specs for thermal compliance.

Nikhil