[SI-LIST] Re: Students - matching 1 mil IEEE1394/ethernet guidelines and DM to CM conversion

  • From: Bill Owsley <wdowsley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 17:56:19 -0700 (PDT)

Most systems are quite functional (SI) when presented to EMC for testing, and
quite often fail.  And as so many have very eloquently (where's my spell check)
explained, there is not likely any 1 mil mis-match in a matched pair that
caused it.  So given my realm of influence, (which certainly is not the weave
of FR4.  Is there a felt or random pattern FR4?)  I ask for continuous
incremental improvements (that don't get me necktie party).  I suspect that the
weave variation of FR4 over any run of interest would have a plus and minus
shift that on the average would come out near the nominal - remember odd/even
number of twists for a pair, that odd number twist would unlock pandoras box.
And certainly the other sources mentioned that are not the diff-pair trace
length can be the dominate source of problem, but they were not part of the
trace length constraint.

  Thanks to those that brought up the BER, RJ, any other jitter, eye diagrams
and that stuff of SI world.  All those numbers scare me in some fashion, they
are so big.
  And it seems that a better match in trace lengths given the phase percentage
mentioned in another note and other descriptions of the effects, or lack of,
for excessive constraints for differential signalling, that the little X mark
in the middle of eye diagram seems to shrink, the supposed flat segments of the
eye diagram are a little bit flatter.  In a tightly couple pair, the forward
crosstalk to the other signal of the pair is a little bit closer in phase with
better matching and so does not cause as much of a slight shift in the
crossover or switching point, leading to less jitter.  Some of the multilevel
signalling has such small differences in the discrete levels that any small
improvement in the little effects that degrade these levels would seem to be
better.  Does a 1 mil request/constraint do that and at what cost?  Well now,
that all depends on where you would like to be in the market.

Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Show me a case where 1 mil difference will break SI.
Then.
Show me a case where 1 mil difference will break EMI but not SI.