[SI-LIST] Re: Straw poll and call for comments: Crowdsource IBIS model directory by use of a wiki such as wikipedia?

The IBIS organization is a natural place to maintain a catalog and
records of any checks done by vendors: silicon and/or EDA.

The market value to the EDA vendors would be the ability to state the
breadth of models that their tools support which might have enough
market value to justify the ongoing cost. I would expect that the effort
to create automated or semiautomated checking for compatibility would be
well within the capability of each EDA vendor and make the amortized
cost quite low. I think for any scheme to stand a chance of market
acceptance, it cannot impose any substantial additional cost in dollars
and/or time on silicon vendors.

Best Regards,

Steve.
Lynne D. Green wrote:

> Steve and Colin,
>
> The "neutral" third party could be the IBIS Model Review Committee (who are
> representatives from EDA vendors).  We could perhaps report models that pass
> the parser with no errors and no warnings.  Someone could encourage vendors
> to post their parser output file, with comments about why particular
> warnings/errors were accepted, but that would be the vendor's job.
>
> Nothing "bad" would be reported about a particular IBIS file.  And only
> reporting "parser clean" might help address Jon's (very true) point about IP
> protection.  (And more vendors might take advantage of our "neutral" review
> service to get on this list.)
>
> Another useful thing on the "wiki" might be educational material: articles
> and educational materials people contribute, links to IBIS parser, specs,
> cookbook, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Lynne
>
> Lynne Green
> Chair
> IBIS Model Review Committee
>

> steve weir wrote: Colin, I don't see an open community Wiki-like structure
> ever getting vendor support. There is just too much exposure to unchecked,
> and potentially unfounded or even malicious criticism. We do not live in
> suchan egalitarian society that vendors locked in tight competition might
> nottry and get an edge in new product adoption by spreading FUD over their
> competitor's offerings. In a world where NDA's are required just to obtain
> data sheets I find it nearly impossible to believe vendors would expose
> themselves in such a public and difficult to control way. I think that if
> anything is going to come of this it would have to be either of the form of:
> a. Voluntary vendor disclosure of standards compliance or b. Vendor
> participation in compliance testing by an accepted neutral third party such
> as a standards committee (as neutral as those can be). Best regards, Steve
> colin_warwick@xxxxxxxxxxx[1] wrote: Hi Jon, Yes, IP and updates are an
> issue,so the plan is to let IC vendors build a directory of links and/or
> "how-to-get-the-model" instructions, not the models themselves. Users will
> add reviews and ratings and IBISCHK scores. -- Colin Warwick Signal
> IntegrityProduct Marketing Manager, Agilent EEsof EDA blog
> http://signal-integrity.tm.agilent.com[2] -----Original Message----- From:
> si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[3] [mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[4]] On
> Behalf Of Powell, Jon N Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:48 AM To: steve
> weir; si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[5] Cc: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[6]; ibis@xxxxxxx[7];
> ibis-users@xxxxxxx[8] Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Straw poll and call for
> comments: Crowdsource IBIS model directory by use of a wiki such as
> wikipedia? Isn't there also a legal issue here? Who owns the IP or the
> copyright and who is going to be responsible for violation of said when a
> copy is kept in a database? Jon Powell EPSD Product SI 將
> [...]

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501