[SI-LIST] Re: Stack up for EMI reduction, plane resonance and u-strip radiation etc etc

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Istvan NOVAK'" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:22:02 -0800

Istvan,

You got me on this one, I really need to figure out where can the 200-400MHz
noise on PCB comes from ?
Is it :
a) Core noise, IC internal switch noise which propagate through the package
power pins to the PCB
Ans : Beaten to death, package is the choke point. EMI noise radiates from
package not PCB
b) I/O switching noise, comes out from signal pins needs a return path the
I/O power
Ans : Managing the return path and reference plane not the decoupling caps.
Yes, the plane CAPACITANCE not inductance provides the return path for the
image current return through the opposite reference ground plane.
c) External terminators,
Ans : The resistance of the terminator is the damping factor
d) Noise from the supply
Ans : 200-400MHz noise from a supply ??????
e) External cable coupling
Ans : ferrite beads and chokes

Aside from the above, none of which is related to fancy decoupling caps or
thin core PCB, where else ?

Chris