[SI-LIST] Re: Stack up for EMI reduction, plane resonance and u-strip radiation etc etc

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Istvan NOVAK'" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:13:32 -0800

No,no,no. We are not in agreement. Especially you haven't answer my question
:
"how could your fancy capacitor or thin core plane help if they are
electrically further from the reference planes ? "

First of all, you can't get into the power and ground bounce issue with the
reference planes without getting into  crosstalk problem. Afterall, it is
the constructive overlapping of the image current that creates the
power/ground bounce problem in the first place.

Now let's think about what do you need to do to bring in the thin core
decoupling plane to relief the problem. You first need to drill vias to
bring the image current from the reference power plane to the other side of
the power plane that has the thin core capacitor. The current then has to AC
coupled to the ground plane through the thin core and then come down to the
ground reference plane with additional ground vias. This is not a low
impedance path as compared with direct plane coupling and the vias has to be
numerous and very close to the signal traces to be effective. Here comes the
problem, if your signal traces are so close that the image current starts to
overlap on the reference already, WHERE ON EARTH DO YOU FIND THE SPACE TO
DRILL THE NECESSARY VIAS ?
Like I said before these power/gnd bounce problem on signal trace crowding
is an observable problem on highspeed high density package. I have done
enough of these packaging analysis to convince myself your trade-off point
does not exist. i.e. Either your traces will be so spaced out that vias can
be drilled near but then their image current don't overlap each other
significantly on the reference plane to create power/gnd bounce problem OR
they will be so tight and close that you can't drill your via to bring in
your thin core relief current anyways.

And for the last time to answer your last question. The spacing between the
signal/power/gnd planes are dictated by the impedance control parameters. It
is not dependent on the edge rate of the signals.

What I am disappointed and alarmed is all these discussions/arguments has
been repeated over and over in this forum and if you go back to the archive
a few years back, there was a flare up with exactly the same argument and I
have pointed out exactly the same problem. Did anything changed since then ?
I certain have not changed your mind and neither have I so what's the point
of continuing this discussion ?