[SI-LIST] Re: Stack up for EMI reduction

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emcesd2000@xxxxxxxxx,
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 06:19:43 -0800

Ahmad, I shudder whenever people refer to plane capacitance.  At short=20
distances, where a section of the plane could be considered lumped, the=20
capacitance is so small as almost always be insignificant.  At greater=20
distances, the planes behave as transmission lines and there is no lumped=20
capacitor to draw on.  I strongly advocate looking at the planes as only an=
=20
impedance between the decoupling capacitors and the load IC.  It there is=20
lots of "capacitance" it is part of a low impedance transmission line.

As far as placing capacitors on the package, yes to cover frequencies where=
=20
the interconnect to the PWB impedance is too high, the IC must provide=20
charge storage.  But the practical limits of that storage are pretty low,=20
limiting the low frequency cut-off.

Capacitors don't "have to" have multiple vias, but it does save otherwise=20
unnecessary parts, as the mounted inductance sets the high frequency=20
impedance that has to reach up to the low frequency cut-off of the IC.

Thanks for the paper reference.

Steve.

At 08:25 AM 2/4/2004 -0800, Ahmad Fallah wrote:
> [...]
> impedance.
> >

> >Another issue I see with the proposed stack up is using the layers 2 and=
 9
> >for breakout (escapes). When these layers are used as breakout in the BGA
> >areas (assuming 1-mm pitch), most or all of the copper in these areas is
> >removed-- hence reducing or eliminating the power plane capacitance.
> >

> >It is believed by some that the thin slivers of copper left in the BGA
> >areas is providing enough power/GND plane pair decoupling, which I do not
> >agree with. The reduction of copper in the BGA areas is only one part of
> >the problem (i.e., directly proportional to reduction in the plane
> >capacitance), however, the inductive patterns formed by the remaining
> >copper slivers is the main issue. We have a paper on this topic that was
> >published in the 2003 EMC symposium proceedings, and we have submitted a
> >follow-up paper for this year.
> >

> >Please consider the following stack up:
> >

> >1 TOP (Escapes/power)
> >
> >2 GND (solid)
> >
> >3 SIG
> >
> >4 Power (solid) [core supply]
> >
> >5 GND (solid)
> >6 SIG (GND flood)
> >
> >7 Power (solid) [I/O supply]
> >
> >8 SIG (GND flood)
> >
> >9 GND
> >
> >10 BOTTOM (Escapes/power)
> >

> >This stack up will provide three routing/signal layers, while maintaining
> >the return path integrity. In conjunction with this, one can also flood
> >the unused areas of the signal layers with power signals of alternating
> >polarity in order to increase the plane-pair decoupling. Please note that
> >this stack up does not yield itself well to the use of ZBC 2000
> >(Sanmina-SCI's buried capacitance), as this process requires that a core
> >exist between the PWR and GND planes. The proposed stack up uses prepreg
> >for the PWR/GND plane pair
> >

> >Kind Regards,
> >

> >Ahmad
> >
> >408-309-7468
> >

> >Nima Lotfi wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I'm looking at re-layout of a 10 layer board because of EMI problems. The
> >board contains 4 differential serial signals a ~700Mhz, and about 20=
 single
> >ended signals at 70 MHz. The main problem frequencies are around 350 Mhz.
> >There are 4 large BGA components on the board.
> >
> >I would ideally like to move into a 12 layer board, however there is=
 quite a
> >bit of (non technical) resistance to doing that.
> >
> >I like to eliminate 2 signal layers, by making my other 2 signal layer
> >denser. Then I'll use the eliminated signal layers as ground/power=
 layers,
> >but I will need to use these new gnd/power layers to assist with breakout=
 of
> >4 high density (500pins) BGA.
> >
> >My question is can any one comment on whether I should in theory get an=
 EMI
> >improvement? What should I look out for?
> >

> >My current stack up is:
> >
> >1 Mainly GND with some breakout
> >2 Signal
> >3 Gnd