[SI-LIST] Re: Square wave harmonics

  • From: "Zhou, Xingling (Mick)" <xlzhou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Daniel.Erik@xxxxxxxx'" <Daniel.Erik@xxxxxxxx>,lucien_op@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:40:00 -0500

Hi, folks

Very interesting discussions ! I like to share some ideas (may not be 100%
correct).

First of all, it is somewhat philosophical. The answer may depend on the
observers like
other general problems. Fortunately, in this case, there is no doulbt that
the observers are
ourselves, (electrical) engineers.

Second, in reality, there is no "frequency domain", everything is in time
domain for us (human beings).  Since great man Fourier described his
transformation (skip the history and details),
everybody started thinking of frequency problems. It is so popular now.
However, we still live
in time domain. Let us think about how we describe a pure sine (or others)
wave, the x-axes is still
time, from -infinity to +infinity. This implies it does not purely exist.
Furthermore, basically, the transformation itself contains infinite terms
(or integrals), which implies to me
we are not able to implement it anyway to make the equalty really true. From
this sense, Fourier
transformation is a mathematical description.

However, it is really a nice description as we have been experiencing. Back
to electrical engineering, people have invented many "frequency" devices
like resonators etc. But we should say they are still in time domain even we
can approximately describe them using frequency domain terminologies.  If
the approximation is good enough and practical, we always accept it.

Even in the quantum world, considering the uncertainty principles (not only
between distance and time, but also  between other pairs), we never have
pure frequency domain waves.

Last I want to mention is, we can decompose any time domain signals into
other convenient forms.
Wavelet is another example. If wavelet was before Fourier, we may talk about
wavelet domain.
Of course, Fourier is still the most convenient one and we are used to it.
It has become real !
Let's stick to it now, not go too far.

Thanks.

Mick