[SI-LIST] Re: Square wave harmonics

  • From: Michael Nudelman <mnudelman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'lucien_op@xxxxxxxxx'" <lucien_op@xxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:17:59 -0500

Lucien:

The answer to your question is rather philosophical one: can you say, that
light consist of particles? Or Waves? Or it is described as waves?

The thing is: in physics there is NO DIFFERENCE between "consist" or
"behave" or "represented".

I will explain: if you create a squarewave by switching two levels of
voltages, or by mixing appropriate sinewaves (let's say, ideal case,
measurably "infinite" number of harmonics), you WON"T be able to tell the
difference.
And when the wave will arrive to the receiver, you won't be able to tell HOW
it was created. Hence - no difference between how you create your squarewave
as long as it is a clean one.

Basically, this is what's good about modeling and measurement: if you use
analogue machine to create just about any function, on the output there is
no difference between modeled function and the real one, since the real
measured function gives you out a voltage, described by function, and the
modelled one gives you exactly the same: voltage described by the same
function.
Being just a receiver of this voltage you won't be able to tell the
difference.

So, it does not matter.

Then again, if you take spectrum analyzer, and will watch teh sepctrum of a
squarewave, you'll find out, that it does actually "contain" all the
harmonics, because you will see them, and, using appropriate filters, may
separate them and make sure they ARE harmonics, described by Fourier
analysis.

Mike.