[SI-LIST] Re: Split gnd planes - for/against?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kevin G. Rhoads" <kgrhoads@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:43:39 -0400

Kevin
I'd agree with you.  The key to using models and simulation is to
correlate the results with measurements, closing the loop.

Kevin G. Rhoads wrote:
>> If building multiple prototypes gets you through your day that's fine.
>> It is something we work hard to avoid the need for.  The tools exist to
>> evaluate pretty much anything we want to know about layout performance
>> before we commit to fab.
>>

> I started out with an S.B. in theoretical mathematics, before switching
> to EE for grad. school.  I've done theoretical analyses, numerical
> analyses (both with commercial and with homebrew codes) as well as building
> stuff.
>
> Simulation and analysis tools are great.  But I've seen too many cases where
> reality is different enough that I don't trust predictions.  That may be
> because all too often I am working with projects that are extreme in one
> way or the other. (E.g., mMeasuring conductivity of molten glass [+/-0.5%],
> dielectric constant of cryogenic organic solvent mixtures, things that
> involve
> dual electrometers, and more recently ion and electron detectors for rockets
> (those are actually fairly straightforward).)
>
> So it may be that my experience is non-typical enough not to be a good
> guideline, but I don't trust simulations.  I've had too many
> cases where some critical parasitic or minor effect is not modelled
> well enough and the simulation and the reality are more orthogonal
> than similar.
>
> So just call me "once bitten, twice shy"

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: