[SI-LIST] Re: Split gnd planes - for/against?

  • From: "Kevin G. Rhoads" <kgrhoads@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:29:14 +0000

>If building multiple prototypes gets you through your day that's fine.
>It is something we work hard to avoid the need for.  The tools exist to
>evaluate pretty much anything we want to know about layout performance
>before we commit to fab.

I started out with an S.B. in theoretical mathematics, before switching
to EE for grad. school.  I've done theoretical analyses, numerical
analyses (both with commercial and with homebrew codes) as well as building
stuff.

Simulation and analysis tools are great.  But I've seen too many cases where
reality is different enough that I don't trust predictions.  That may be
because all too often I am working with projects that are extreme in one
way or the other. (E.g., mMeasuring conductivity of molten glass [+/-0.5%],
dielectric constant of cryogenic organic solvent mixtures, things that involve
dual electrometers, and more recently ion and electron detectors for rockets
(those are actually fairly straightforward).)

So it may be that my experience is non-typical enough not to be a good
guideline, but I don't trust simulations.  I've had too many
cases where some critical parasitic or minor effect is not modelled
well enough and the simulation and the reality are more orthogonal
than similar.

So just call me "once bitten, twice shy"

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: