[SI-LIST] Re: Split Plane Routing

  • From: "Pat Sharkey" <psharkey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"Si-List@Freelists. Org" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:12:28 -0600

Ken,

My dilemna is regarding a mixed-signal design with an FPGA interfacing to
16-bit ADCs and DACs. Would I simply be better off not isolating the analog
ground
(which will be connected at some point anyway) and put barriers on the
signal layers
so I don't have any high-speed signals next to the precious analog?

With good placement the two worlds are partitioned with the exception of the
serial data/control between the FPGA and the analog converters. Here's where
the
temptation is to spilt the ground planes to block switching currents from
entering
the analog ground.

Pat