[SI-LIST] Re: S-parameter to Circuit Model extraction?

  • From: "Eoin Mc Gibney" <emcgibney@xxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:47:18 -0000

Hi Inmyong,

As Giancarlo said this is not so easy to do and chosing a good model
can sometimes be very difficult, from your email you have not said
what type of structures you measured? But the choice of model (pi,
tee etc) will depend on the many factors, one of which is the
electrical length of the structures and the freqeucny at which you
are working at.

I'm nearly certain that HSpice will simulated s-parameters, but
another option to you is to use a RF circuit simulator, Ansoft give a
free download of the student version of Designer. This will allow you
to import your measured s-parameters in .SnP or a few other formats,
and it also will simulate the s-parameters for you model and you can
directly compare them. You could build up a lumped element model or
use some of the transmission line models built into the software.
This might be an easier starting point, when you are happy with the
models you have created you can stick into HSpice and see how they
look.

Regards,
Eoin Mc Gibney

PhD Student
Centre for Adaptive Wireless Systems,
Cork Institute of Technology,
Cork,
Ireland
emcgibney@xxxxxx

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "=B5=A8=C5=B8=BC=D2=B3=E2 " <imsong91@...> =
wrote:

>  P{margin-top:2px;margin-bottom:2px;}
> Hello,
>

> I measured some PCB structures and Wafers by VNA to get the S-
parameters.

> As I know, there are many extraction algorithm in this world,
right?

> But I know only one technique which is EO's paper in 1992.
>
> If anyone knows other methodologies, please reply me.
>

> By the way, to compare the measured S-parameter with the simulated
> S-parameter from circuit model,
>
> I think that I have to do spice simulation. But I am not sure the
spice can
> extract S-parameter from
>
> frequency dependant circuit models.
>
> And which circuit model is more accurate, for example PI-Model, T-
Model,
> Telegraph Equation.?
>

> Thank for your reading.
>

> Inmyung Song.
>

> =BB=EC=B7=C1=B6=F3! =B4=E7=BD=C5=C0=C7 =BD=BA=C5=B8=C0=CF! =BB=EF=BC=BADM=
B=C6=F9 32,000=BF=F8[1] [IMG]

> --- Links ---
>    1 http://click.paran.com/paran.php?
p_eye=3Dmega^ban^ban^ban^send_mail&rurl=3Dhttp://megazone.paran.com/pointp