[SI-LIST] Re: Source impedance?

  • From: "Chuck Hill" <chuckh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:04:36 -0700

Scott,

I disagree.
        Case 1: voltage source (zero impedance) and terminated load
        source reflection coefficient mag = 1
        load reflection coefficient mag = 0
        100% power transfer
        0 dB loss

        Case 2: matched voltage source (impedance is same as line ) and
terminated
load
        source reflection coefficient mag = 0
        load reflection coefficient mag = 0
        25% power transfer (relative to case 1)
        3 dB loss in source, 3 dB loss in load, 6 dB total
        1/2 open circuit source voltage appears on the load

Case 1 has a source with infinite available power which isn't realiztic.

Now to the question.  I view the field of SI encompassing applications such
as gigabit serial links, RF systems, as well as the TTL and LVDS digital
systems.  In the former application areas, source match is beneficial to the
system SI--but only because it reduces standing waves caused by non-ideal
match in connectors and the load.  In the traditional digital systems,
source termination is sometimes used at low values to limit ringing, but not
at values high enough to match the line because of the reduction in signal
voltage.

Charles Hill, consultant