[SI-LIST] Re: Skin Effect on Power/ground Plane

  • From: "Madhavan Swaminathan" <madhavan.swaminathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jbtera77@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:43:18 -0500 (EST)

Dear Jongbae,

Interesting question.
You may want to look at the book "Power Integrity Modeling and Design for
Semiconductors and Systems", Prentice Hall, Dec 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Integrity-Modeling-Semiconductors-Prentice-Semiconductor/dp/0136152066

There is a section in Ch2 on Field Penetration through Planes. This
section has theory and measurements that may answer your question.

Best Regards,
Madhavan
> Hi, all
> Assuming there is a significant high frequency power/ground noise inside a
> power/ground plane pair, which size is infinite, (Plane is thick enough)
> when we probe (for measurement) the power/ground noise at the inner side
> of power/ground plane, we can observe the power/gound noise waveform
> generated inside the plane pair.
> How do you think if we probe the power/ground noise at the outer side of
> power/ground plane? Can we still get the same waveform? or we cannot
> oberve
> any voltage because of skin effect?
> I think we can have almost same waveform because, even if there is no any
> current at the outer side of power/ground plane due to skin effect, the
> noise potential is still effective at the outer side of planes. am i
> wrong?
>
> Please give me your advice.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jongbae.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Madhavan Swaminathan
Joseph M. Pettit Professor in Electronics
Deputy Director, Microsystems Packaging Research Center
School of Electrical and Computer Engg.
777, Atlantic Drive
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0250