[SI-LIST] Re: Simple Rational Model Estimation Method Given Transfer Function

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Charlie Sweet'" <csweet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:27:34 -0700

Hi Charlie,

Transmission parameter S21 is the wave transfer function for a 2-port system
terminated with the normalization impedances of the corresponding
S-parameters. No assumption about the reflection is required to fit it.
Depending on your application, the other options would be impedance or
admittance transfer functions. Fitting just transfer function is much
simpler task comparing to fitting a complete scattering or immitance matrix
for instance. The smoothness of the wave transfer function depends on the
t-line characteristic impedance and presence of the discontinuities in the
system. In context of signal integrity, a connection of 50-Ohm source and
load with 50-Ohm transmission line for instance will have zero reflection
loss the ideally smooth transfer function. Mismatches and discontinuities
lead to oscillations or resonances in the transfer function caused by the
reflections. In both cases it can be approximated with the rational basis
functions following the vectfit algorithm (may be without passivity
enforcement as in your case). Note, that it works only for linear
time-invariant systems.

Best regards,
Yuriy Shlepnev
www.simberian.com