[SI-LIST] Re: Signal crossing Split plane

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ch_harrington@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:17:54 -0500

Charles,

You said:  "I disagree with Yuriy that a tool can define the boundaries=20
of discontinuties and decompose the channel. If he still believe this is =

true, then he should name the tool."

IMO, there is no reason why a PCB SI tool cannot do exactly what Yuriy=20
says.  That one does not now, does not preclude the possibility.   Since =

a tool based on a physical layout, netlist, and driver locations has=20
knowledge of all signal paths, and direction of signal travel, it would=20
be possible to automate the process of defining appropriate TEM and=20
Quasi-TEM boundaries, placing ports, performing full-wave extractions,=20
caching the results for other identical structures, and then integrating =

the sub-circuits into a complete end-to-end model.  I also do not see a=20
reason why it would not be possible to identify "problematic" structures =

where well-defined return paths do not exist over the bandwidth of=20
interest, warn the user of the inherent errors in modeling, and possibly =

even suggest alternatives to modify the structure.   (Do not pick nits=20
with me over the details, or assume that because I have not included=20
every detail that I am somehow unaware of them.  You would be wrong.)

The problem is in the size of "real" problems.  You can argue all day=20
about higher order modes, and appropriate boundary definitions.  These=20
have little relevance for a designer like Chris Cheng who is trying to=20
implement real system boards that have hundreds of 3, 6, 10 Gbps links,=20
and the necessary thousands of single-ended DDR-XYZ memory signals to=20
support those aggregated data rates, running at 533, 666, 1066, 1333,=20
and 1666 Mbps in his future systems.   Although Chris is quite capable=20
of defining structures to model and simulate, and quite capable of=20
performing the modeling himself, his problem is one of sheer time,=20
volume and space.

Chris' problem boils down to two very basic questions:

1) Is there a tool and methodology that can help to engineer a reliable=20
system, free of SI, PI and EMI problems, within his product engineering=20
time window?

2) If not, when do I know, how do I know, that I must spend the time to=20
run full-wave tools to characterize and define the localized boundary=20
regions of the design?

Charles, you have been sitting in the background, hiding in anonymity,=20
throwing darts at Yuriy, when IMO they are unjustified.    You would be=20
well advised to be a professional, ask questions and clarifications,=20
rather than make accusations.  Please feel free to provide us with your=20
experience and credentials, rather than questioning Yuriy's.  It would=20
help your credibility in my eyes.

regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed=AE is the registered service mark of

Charles Harrington wrote:
> Chris,
>   =20
>   I completely agree with you. We need methods rather than just validat=
ed tools.
>   =20
>   I disagree with Yuriy that a tool can define the boundaries of discon=
tinuties and decompose the channel. If he still believe this is true, the=
n he should name the tool.
>   =20
>   Channel decomposition is a very old and simple procedure to impement.=
 This I agree with Yuriy. But what Yuriy does not understand is that you =
can do decomposition only when you have one dominant wave mode at points =
or interfaces along the channel where you wish to do the decomposition. L=
et me explain what I mean. If you have a stripline, competely surrounded =
by a homogeous dielectric and losses can be neglected, then the TEM appro=
ximation can be used. Even if this stripline is as long as 1 km, you can =
decompose it and use quasi-static or even static approximations to analys=
e the different segments. These segments can later be integrated together=
=2E But when ever you have higher order modes, then straight-forward deco=
mposition, which is implemented in most tools, fails. As Prof. R. Collins=
 (field theory of guided waves) explains, once there are discontinuities,=
 then the waves at the output of the segment containing the discontinuity=
 will have a combination of the dominant
>  modes (which you can competely characterize) and higher order modes (w=
hich you may not even know). These waves will then serve as incident wave=
s to the second segment and so on. That's why in most tools, it is recomm=
ended to do decomposition only at points where the higher order modes hav=
e decayed. The user must define interfaces or points along the channel wh=
ere the higher order modes have decayed and only the main mode (which pro=
pagates power) is present. This is one of the motivations why boundaries =
of discontinuties are defined. So, don't rely on tools to do channel deco=
mposition whenever you have discontinuties at higher frequencies. Remembe=
r, at lower frequencies most of the effects of the highe order modes can =
be neglected.=20
>   I am sure no body in this list (including myself) will be able to pro=
pose you a solution much better than the one you proposed yourself in you=
r previous mail. Below, I will try to outline your methodology. Please co=
rrect me, if I don't understand something.
>   =20
>   1. Characterise the 3D geometies for your PCB technology considering =
the return paths, plane stitches etc. at your frequencies of intertest. Y=
ou may consider the highest frequency. Whenever discontinuties are placed=
 too close to each other, then you consider them as one discontinutity an=
d  use a 3D field solver to compute the fied solution.
>   2. Use a statistical method to make sure you cover possible dimension=
s of the 3D geometries (such as via pads, via holes, stitcing vias and so=
 on) and what-if scenarios.
>   3. Place your design rules in a data base for your post route verific=
ation analysis.
>   =20
>   I think if you proceed as you proposed yourself, then you will not en=
counter any uncalculated discontinuity, because you define your layout yo=
urself. You can always localize any discontinuity you encounter. You just=
 have to make sure that the return current is kept close to signal curren=
t. There is nothing new or difficult in this. Dr. Howard Johnson in his b=
ook on advanced black magic explains this very well.
>   =20
>   I hope it helps. If not, I'm sorry, I can not help you further.
>   =20
>   Best regards
>   Charles
>   =20
>  =20
> =20
>   =20
>   =20
>  =20
> Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   JP,
> I have no beef in who has a better 3D algorithm. My question is specifi=
cally on methodology to both Charles and Yuriy in integrating 3D models i=
n a system environment and I didn't find Yuriy pimping his own tool in hi=
s response to me. In fact I think his description is somewhat closer to w=
hat Charles has been saying, there are non-localize models one has to tak=
e into consideration.
> I am just looking out from my short bus asking all the experts you ment=
ion to chime in. Namely, what is the correct methodology to integrate 3D =
models in a complete system interconnect simulation environment.
> As far as I know there are not that many brave souls that model the ent=
ire system interconnect in one big giant 3D full wave model from end to e=
nd. That means at certain point of time the model is partitioned, most li=
kely between pure interconnect (lossy line) and discontinuity (3D models)=
=2E=20
> I think Yuriy correctly point out some of the cases are not localizable=
 and in those cases, what are you going to do ? What tool can tell me I c=
an safely break my trace read from the PC CAD database at what distance b=
efore I have to extract my 3D model (as in case a) on my original questio=
n)? What tool can precompute the discontinuity in 3D and then calibrate o=
ut the ideal interconnect part out of the extended port (probably by some=
 kind of pseudo TRL algorithm) so that a user can simply extract the trac=
e length information from the PC CAD database and then just reuse the pre=
-compute 3D models everytime he encounter the discontinuity ?
> To me, the second option is very attractive because it gives the dumb u=
ser like me a very straight forward modeling methodology. All those via d=
rills and return models, plane switches can be pre-compute and constrain =
in PCB design rules and the post route verification will be a snap by sim=
ply reading out the trace length and location of the discontinuity and su=
bstituting the pre-compute model.=20
> On the other hand, what if we hit one of those giant non-localize disco=
ntinuity ? What tool can fall back and extract the necessary area and mod=
el ?
> I am not an academic, I ship products. With that in mind, I need a meth=
odology and not just a tool that can be validated to a terahertz.=20
> ________________________________

warrants you to model discontinuities the way you do in your application =
notes? I went through all the examples in your website using the link you=
 provided ( http://www.simberian.com/AppNotes.php) and realized that you =
don't have even one example where you correlated your simulations with me=
asurements. Why? Are you hiding something?=20

> At the beginning, Lee advised you to do some measurements. Charles also=
 said the very thing, but in a rather harder way.

> I may disagree with the way Charles pointed this out to you, but there =
is a lot of truth in everything he said, especially regarding your models=
=2E Indeed, the models in your application notes are not correct and also=
 misleading, I would say. You make terrible claims about your solver's ab=
ility to compute complex multilayer geometries and yet provide no example=
 to make your case solid.=20

> In the case of via-hole modeling; If you have now learned and agree tha=
t via-holes are not just barrels and pads as you represent them in your n=
otes, and if you now also agree that you need to be far away with your po=
rts, then why do you still have these unrealistic models in your applicat=
ion notes? You even go as far as posting them in this list. By doing so, =
you mislead the young and unexperienced. You even mislead the users of yo=
ur solver. If you claim that any of the models (multilayer geometries, sl=
ots, via, planes, transmission lines, etc) in your application notes is c=
orrect, then show us how they match with measurement results.=20

> There are also a lot of weakness in the way you explain some fundamenta=
l issues which do not reflect the 25 years of experience you claim to hav=
e. Unlike Charles, I will not talk about that openly in this forum. May b=
e privately, if you permit me. You even forge explanations to justify you=
r solver and models. This is inappropriate.=20

> I am now on holidays. When I get back to work, I would like to evaluate=
 your solver using some of our multilayer geometries (if you provide me t=
he 3 day evaluation license you promise on your website). As long as I do=
n't see any good correlation with measurements and your simulation models=
 are also weak, then there is no way I can believe you.=20

> Chris: I don't think Yuriy is the person to ask questions concerning re=
al PCB designs when he can not provide realistic examples in the applicat=
ion notes of his own solver. If you don't believe me, use the link given =
above. Charles too is a bit impolite, I would say. There are a lot of oth=
er well respected experts in this forum (Steve, Istvan, Lee, Eric Bogatin=
 etc) from whom I learn a lot. I think they will give you real answers, n=
ot some theory that does not help.=20

> Best regards
> Jean Pierre
>

> This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidentia=
l, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. An=
y review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments) by =
others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, ple=
ase contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original an=
d any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

> List technical documents are available at:
> http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:=20
> //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list