[SI-LIST] Re: Signal crossing Split plane

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mauricejeanpierre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 08:57:22 -0800

Hello Jean-Pierre,

The goal of the app-notes on our web site was to show some use-case
scenarios for the solver. Note, that comparisons with experimental data may
be just a part of a complex solver validation procedure that in our case
includes convergence study, solution of the benchmarking problems,
comparisons with the results obtained by different numerical methods and
finally comparisons with the published experimental data (at Simberian Inc.
we do not have a lab). Some of these validation results are in the
presentations and papers available at our web site www.simberian.com in
Downloads section. The results of many validation experiments with the
corresponding references are provided as the simulation examples with the
software installation module. Anyway, we will have app-notes describing the
validation experiments on our web site soon.

Considering the software evaluation - the installation module is available
for download at http://www.simberian.com/Software.php (follow the procedure
outlined at the top of the page). We provide free 30-day evaluation license.
Please use your corporate e-mail address to authorize the software (no
aliases). Note that during the evaluation period the solver is usually
undergoes additional validation by comparisons with the results obtained
with another simulators and with the experimental data. Some results of
comparisons with the measured data from our customers will be soon available
in app-notes and papers.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
2326 E Denny Way, Seattle, WA 98122, USA
Tel/fax +1-206-726-1098
Cell +1-206-409-2368
Skype shlepnev

www.simberian.com

Jean-Pierre Maurice wrote:
> [...]
> warrants you to model discontinuities the way you do in your application
> notes? I went through all the examples in your website using the link you
> provided (http://www.simberian.com/AppNotes.php) and realized that you
don't
> have even one example where you correlated your simulations with
> measurements. Why? Are you hiding something?
>
> At the beginning, Lee advised you to do some measurements. Charles also
said
> the very thing, but in a rather harder way.
>
> I may disagree with the way Charles pointed this out to you, but there is
> lot of truth in everything he said, especially regarding your models.
> Indeed, the models in your application notes are not correct and also
> misleading, I would say. You make terrible claims about your solver's
> ability to compute complex multilayer geometries and yet provide no
example
> to make your case solid.
>
> In the case of via-hole modeling; If you have now learned and agree that
> via-holes are not just barrels and pads as you represent them in your
notes,
> and if you now also agree that you need to be far away with your ports,
then
> why do you still have these unrealistic models in your application notes?
> You even go as far as posting them in this list. By doing so, you mislead
> the young and unexperienced. You even mislead the users of your solver. If
> you claim that any of the models (multilayer geometries, slots, via,
planes,
> transmission lines, etc) in your application notes is correct, then show
us
> how they match with measurement results.
>
> There are also a lot of weakness in the way you explain some fundamental
> issues which do not reflect the 25 years of experience you claim to have.
> Unlike Charles, I will not talk about that openly in this forum. May be
> privately, if you permit me. You even forge explanations to justify your
> solver and models. This is inappropriate.
>
> I am now on holidays. When I get back to work, I would like to evaluate
your
> solver using some of our multilayer geometries (if you provide me the 3
day
> evaluation license you promise on your website). As long as I don't see
any
> good correlation with measurements and your simulation models are also
weak,
> then there is no way I can believe you.
>
> Chris: I don't think Yuriy is the person to ask questions concerning real
> PCB designs when he can not provide realistic examples in the application
> notes of his own solver. If you don't believe me, use the link given
above.
> Charles too is a bit impolite, I would say. There are a lot of other well
> respected experts in this forum (Steve, Istvan, Lee, Eric Bogatin etc)
from
> whom I learn a lot. I think they will give you real answers, not some
theory
> that does not help.
>
> Best regards
> Jean Pierre