[SI-LIST] Re: Shoots

  • From: "Novak David" <david.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:52:52 -0500

Thanks for all the great responses!

I am also of the opinion that the VDD+0.3V / VSS-0.3V specs. are =
unreasonable for AC conditions. The inductance in the lead frame will =
cause the shoots at the pin to be much larger than at the die. In =
addition, I suspect that the diode action which allows large current =
injections is slow (relatively speaking) to activate. Can anyone provide =
insight into the speed of this diode action?=20

What about the voltage at which the diode action activates? I have been =
told that the diodes are not as good as discrete diodes and won't =
actually turn on until the forward bias is about 2.0V.

Suppose I decide to let the shoots violate the VDD+0.3V / VSS-0.3V =
specs.

1) Is there a rule of thumb spec. that I should not exceed?

2) Is there an experiment that I can perform to get an idea of what a =
particular IC can withstand? For instance, I could inject a controlled =
overshoot into the IC and measure the current into the pin.

3) If a failure is going to occur, will it be developed over time? In =
other words, will I immediately see the error of my ways or will the =
product be in production when the failure occurs?

Thanks,
David