[SI-LIST] Re: Series termination greater than the characteristic impedance?

  • From: "Gilles Aminot" <aminotg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:39:31 -0600

Hi All,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. I have more
background information to add to this original post. After questioning this
further here is what I found out.

Before the pre-layout simulation was done, it was determined that space was
a real constraint. So pre-layout simulation was done at 250MHz with a single
series termination placed directly in the middle of the DDR2 and the CPU
(1000mils on each side). This simulations yeilded good results (per the
simulation), and these constraints were fed to the PCB design. Upon
completion of the PCB design, it was found that the series terminations were
placed closer to the CPU (~300-400mils). Post layout simulation showed
excessive overshoot at the CPU during read cycles which isn't too
surprising. In order to save the layout the 60ohms was recommended to save
the day. According to the simulation this reduced the overshoot on read, but
overdamped the signal during writes. Analysis still shows sufficient setup
and hold, and overshoot tamed down a bit on a read.

Is this an acceptable approach? I am still leaning toward seperate series
terminations at each end of the databus  as the real solution, but I am
having difficulty justifying it to management since they see a report that
says everything is OK.

Kindest Regards,
Gilles