[SI-LIST] Re: Sacrificial ground: Is it useful?

  • From: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:28:55 EST

Darn, sorry guys, but I lost over half of my comments to John on the last
E-mail. I didn't save it, so here's a brief summary of what "disappeared."
The result is minimal disturbance (under the circumstances) because of the
use of the low inductance current path and the lowest current density entry
point to the internal circuits of the PCB.

RE: Capacitors around the periphery

I recommended PROVISIONS for "spoiler" capacitors be spaced around the ring
at varying intervals.  Because the ring forms a loop antenna that is resonant
at a low to intermediate frequency, a susceptibility coul be encountered,
depending on the using environment. If so, addition of either capacitors or low
value damping resistors could be used to "spoil" or significantly reduce the
susceptibility. These mounting provisions are not recommended to be populated
unless a problem is encountered.

The guard ring approach solved many ESD problems, particularly on portable
designs. I presented the concept in lectures across the US and Europe, as well
as incorporating custom variations in many designs over the years. Perhaps many
designers now use the concept without understanding whether they have need
for it in their particular design.

I had considerably more to comment, but don't have any more time now.

Have fun,

Mike

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting
Cell: 408-821-9843

*** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***

List archives are viewable at: