[SI-LIST] Re: SSTL/DDR series termination

  • From: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:57:38 -0700

Steve,
You are right.  There are differences between an ASIC and an FPGA.  The
point I was making was that a point-to-point SSTL/DDR interface can be
implemented with series terminations only.  The important thing is to
simulate it thoroughly.

Regards, Ravinder
Server PCB Development
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

Email: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
10/21/2005 11:47 AM

Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Brad5m@xxxxxxx
cc
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [SI-LIST] Re: SSTL/DDR series termination

Ravinder, Brad,

An FPGA is likely to behave very differently from an ASIC for a number of
reasons.  What will work well varies depending on a number of factors
including:

FPGA family being used
Data transfer rate
I/O assignments
DCI/ODT or not in the FPGA
Board stack-up / power distribution

Since Brad is new at this, I would get as much help as possible from your
FPGA vendor.  In all cases, simulation should be considered mandatory.

Regards,

Steve.
At 09:06 AM 10/21/2005 -0700, Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]
>the interface, I decided not to put any terminations on the Address and
>Control lines.  The differential clock has both series and parallel
>terminations.  I experienced cross-talk problem in the first board
>revision, as I had not simulated for the worst case cross-talk.  I have
>had no problem with the interface since then.
>
>Recently I simulated the same topology for DDR2 interface and it still
>works quite well.
>
>Regards, Ravinder
>Server PCB Development
>Hitachi Global Storage Technologies
>
>Email: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>Brad5m@xxxxxxx
>Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>10/21/2005 08:41 AM
>Please respond to
>Brad5m@xxxxxxx

>si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>cc
>
>Subject
>[SI-LIST] SSTL/DDR series termination
>

>Hi all -
>
>This is my first time here -- please be gentle, and thanks for your help!
>
>I'm doing a design using a single 512Mb DDR2 attached to an FPGA and I'm
>entertaining the use of series termination for at least some of the
>interface
>between them, but still trying to convince myself that it will all work
>OK. The
>major impetus in using series term is that I could potentially  entirely
>lose
>the Vtt supply, which would be highly desirable. The only  thing *more*
>desirable is that it all works when I'm done.
>
>The scheme is as follows:
>-point-to-point connection between FPGA and DDR2
>-trace lengths in the .75-1.25" range (a guess)
>1) The unidirectional signals (e.g., address) from FPGA to DDR2 will be
>"series terminated" by judicious setting of the FPGA output drive.
>2) Same for the bidirectional signals (e.g., data) when driven by the
>FPGA.
>3) My 1st choice for managing the DDR=>FPGA data direction would be to
>select a trace impedance that works well with one of the two available
>DDR2  drive
>strengths (maybe 75 ohms/reduced drive?). If that doesn't work, I could
>presumably use resistors by the DDR to series terminate the "read"
>direction.
>
>I have simulated the FPAG=>DDR2 direction, and with appropriate output
>current settings on the FPGA it seems to look fine. It looks pretty much
>just  like
>the parallel terminated (50-Vtt) case, only it has more amplitude. I
>haven't
>done the other direction yet (IBIS problem), but don't expect it to be
>*too*
>different since it is also an SSTL18 driver.
>
>The SSTL18 and DDR2 JEDEC specs contain a receiver parameter
"Vswing(max)"

>that appears to say that signal amplitude must be no greater than 1Vpp.
If

//www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>or at our remote archives:

>                                  http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu