[SI-LIST] Re: SSO of a Spartan3 in a PQ208 package

  • From: Bill Wurst <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:54:26 -0500

I think a note of caution is in order here.  After using PbSn solder to
reflow a board in a toaster oven,  DO NOT use that toaster oven to heat
food.  The vapors of lead will deposit themselves on the interior
surface of the oven and will subsequently contaminate food.  Even if one
were to use Pb-free solder, I would be wary of reusing the oven to heat
food.
     -Bill

       /************************************
      /         billw@xxxxxxxxxxx         /
     /                                   /
    / Advanced Electronic Concepts, LLC /
   /           www.aec-lab.com         /
   ************************************
Christopher R. Johnson wrote:
> Instead of worrying about SSO on the QFP, why not just solder the BGA
> yourself?  It has been down with a 256 ball Xilinx BGA using, believe it
> or not, a toaster oven.
>
> See http://dlharmon.com/solder/smd.html
>
> Regards,
> Chris Johnson
>
> henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>Hi!=0D
>>=0D
>>As a hobby I'm designing a graphics card for the atari computers containing=
>>a=0D
>>Spartan3 (XC3S400) that will implement a 16-bit DDR1 interface at 166MHz=0D
>>(DDR333). I know I've asked you about this board before (but not this parti=
>>cular=0D
>>question), but new questions keep coming up. I hope you have patience with =
>>me. :-)=0D
>>=0D
>>I've chosen the PQ208 package for my prototype because I want to be able to=
>>=0D
>>solder this board myself without paying for mounting a BGA package (like th=
>>e=0D
>>FT256).

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: