[SI-LIST] Re: SSN issue?

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ehsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,"Si-List (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 06:12:37 -0700

Eric, as a first order approximation, yes.  But a better way to do this is
the way your neighbors at Rambus have detailed, and model from the die
structures all the way out to the reference requirements you are setting
for the application board.  This way, you can balance the trade-offs
available to manage the parallel resonance of the package power
interconnect inductance and in-package / on-die capacitance.  If you skip
this step, then it will be quite possible for you to end up with a
resonance near a high current peak and starve your part.  CAMs are already
twitchy enough.
Regards,

Steve.
At 03:50 PM 4/8/2004 -0700, Eric Hsu wrote:
>Hi, SI experts,
>
>I am curious about whether package RLC will dominate input stimulus =
>frequency in terms of getting the worst noise on power and ground, but =
>not always happened on the maximum frequency? In other words, can I =
>treat package RLC as filter to analyze the maximum noise?=20
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Eric Hsu
>Interface Technologies
>NetLogic Microsystems, Inc.
>450 National Ave.
>Mountain View, CA 94043
>650-961-6676 x198
>This e-mail contains NetLogic Microsystems, Inc. Confidential =
>information

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at: