[SI-LIST] Re: S-Parameter and Harmonics Balance Analysis

Darshan-

The following just dusts the surface of the topics you inquired about.

Of the 4 "methods" you have listed, only Harmonic Balance and Z-domain
analysis are actually  analysis algorithms,. S-parameters are merely a
means of representing the transfer characteristics of frequency
dependent data and the Laplace transform is a an integral transform that
has great utility in solving differential equations and problems that
can be represented as such.

Harmonic Balance simulation is basically a frequency domain technique
that can handle non-linearities in circuit devices. It finds quite a bit
of use in RF and microwave power circuit analysis.

Z-domain analysis is a means to analyze a sampled data system utilizing
the z-transorm. The z transform is the discrete time analog of the
laplace transform. Data is manipulated in the discrete time (or Z
domain) as opposed to the continuous time S-domain utilized with the
Laplace transform.

For lots of more detailed discussion on these topics do a Google search
on your topics and you will be rewarded with more resources on the
topics than you probably are prepared to read.

Ray Anderson
Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer
Xilinx Inc.

Darshan Mehta wrote:

>Hi All,
>

>There are various methods like S-Parameter, Z- Domain analysis, Lapalace
>Transform, Harmonic Balance analysis for performing simulation in Frequency
>domain. Could you please tell me which one is the best in which scenario? Many
>simulators use S-Parameter and Harmonic Balance method for Analog simulation
>Technique but I want to know why other techniques are not popular. Please tell
>me which method is the accurate or please send me the link where I can get
>this information. Thanks.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Darshan Mehta

List FAQ wiki page is located at: