[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best

  • From: "Michael E. Vrbanac" <vrbanacm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:33:49 -0500

Mike,

Thanks.  I had a lot more fun that I ought to have had writing that.

re: Linpar and Multlin
Heard about Linpar... but never used it.  Never seen Multlin... the
book description leaves me a bit short.

Is Linpar worth its salt?  I've used Apsim for that task before but
I wouldn't mind saving some money by getting something just as good
for much less and no maintenance fees. I was wondering if there were
any newer versions or ones that take into consideration something other
than a rectangular cross-section and one could add solder mask.

re: Micro-Cap8
That sounds a lot like Electronics Workbench (which I've looked at but
never purchased).  I've also picked up something some months ago called
"Visual Spice" from Island Logix just on a lark because they had reduced
the price to a ridiculously low $149 on a special on their top level version.
I couldn't resist.  And while its a little clunky on the interface, I've
gotten it
to do some amazing things.  Talk about cheap.  It could use a bit of sprucing
up and fix a couple of bugs but it really tells you where this stuff could go
when the "graft, greed, and corruption" is taken out of the picture.

Anyhow, if you have a minute or two to tell me a little more detail about
what you like about Linpar (and Multlin) and your experiences with it, I
would certainly appreciate it.  It sounds like something I've been looking
for.

Thanks,

Michael E. Vrbanac

At 07:13 PM 4/16/2004, you wrote:
>Loved your commentary, Michael. "You are right, Sir." Only model when deemed
>appropriate, which does require some smarts and experience to make that
>judgement.
>I also have had many of my clients complain about "maintenance" fees of
>software that is used10-15% of the time. Fortunately, some software has a
>"one-time
>only" cost, such as Micro-Cap 8 (which I use) at just under $4,000. I also
>use Linpar and Multlin for 2D modeling and generating Z-matrices or
>S-parameters
>for lossy, coupled, multiconductor transmission lines. Multlin also provides
>SPICE output files of the lossy, coupled lines. Their outputs integrate
>easily
>into MC8 (and earlier Micro-Cap versions).
>
>Mike
>
>Michael L. Conn
>Owner/Principal Consultant
>Mikon Consulting
>
>*** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
>List technical documents are available at: