[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best

  • From: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:04:04 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/2004 5:27:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, I was informed
of the following (sender's name withheld):
"Hello Michael, I agree that Linpar is a great bang for the buck but you
should not quote prices and technical information for Apsim which are wrong.
ApsimRLGC cost is 7.5K not 25K.  There is no embedded correlation factor. I
can't tell you why the companies you mentioned use an embeded correlation
factor but it has nothing to do with ApsimRLGC and everything to do with
simplicity
of operation on their part."
************
I'm glad you spoke up on the cost factors. I was directly quoting individuals
from two separate major PCB suppliers on their versions of Apsim. The time
frame is within the last two years. I actually saw the programs in use and
talked to the R&D Chief Engineer as to how they obtained their TDR data and
inputted the correction factors to their program. Perhaps there is a
complemetary
software program (with attendant added costs) that both companies use, I don't
know. I personally use an Excel program wherein I place the correction factors
for the different trace configurations under analysis to obtain the corrected
prediction values for Zo. Nevertheless, I sincerely apologize for reporting
costs that may not be real.
**************

There were some excellent technical capabilities of ApsimRLGC that were
pointed out to me which leads to the following comments that may be of interest
SI List members.
****
1. Linpar V2 handles up to 32 traces, multiple different dielectric layers
between copper layers, and multiple copper layers with different trace widths
and offsets on each layer. The predicted Zo agreements with PCB vendors (as
well
as the real hardware) has been excellent, in my experience over several
years. Listed cost is $419.00.
2. Linpar is a MOM-based analysis tool and outputs RLCG matrices at
frequencies, loss tangents, and dielectric constants (defined for each layer
material)
specified by the user.
3. Linpar requires Multlin to produce S-parameters and/or PSPICE models as
the user selects (although you can generate your own lumped element, coupled
models from the Linpar matrices if you are a masochist). The SPICE models
include
frequency dependent resistance and conductance parameters, and can handle up
to 32 coupled traces. The lossy, coupled SPICE models are Laplacian-based, run
super fast, and have been right on the money for the multi-gigahertz projects
I have used them for. Listed cost for Multlin is $299.00.
4. Neither Linpar nor Multlin have direct interface provisions to layout
systems.
5. Linpar+Multlin outputs tabulated S-parameters in general,
Touchstone/Libra, or Super-compact formats, as selected by the user. Importing
these formats
has not been a problem.
6. Linpar assumes skin-effect is in full force and the results directly
include same.
7. I have not evaluated Linpar capabilities for silicon wafer, slow-mode
model effects; however, I have successfully and accurately correlated hundreds
of
tests and measurements on ceramic substrates for pin grid array packages using
Linpar.

Until 1999, only the very limited DOS version of Linpar was available, during
which time many programs substantially exceeded Linpar's capability. The
Windows version is massively improved (some features noted above).

Apologetically,

Mike

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting

*** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: