[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Distribution/Filtering/Decoupling Gu ideThe 100Mhz clean cut off.

  • From: Mark Alexander <mark.alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:27:17 -0700

Chris,

I doubt that anyone on the list strictly follows every aspect of EIA or
JEDEC specified IO standards.  We all mix and match to get what we want,
as you say.  If we didn't, it wouldn't be engineering.

Still, there's a lot of value in standards -- they get people into the
same ballpark and provide an anchor.  It's pretty nice that most designs
have standardized in the vicinity of 50 ohm trace impedance for
single-ended interfaces.  This has allowed for advances in tools and
techniques that might not have been possible if everyone was haphazardly
choosing t-line impedances at random.

Right now we're in that haphazard area with PDS design.  There's a few
camps with favorite techniques, but even those aren't well defined.
Coming up with some relevant standards for PDS's based on PCB types (ala
Steve W's four PCB categories), would draw some useful lines in the
sand.  For one thing, it gives silicon vendors some information on what
environments they should have to work in.

No one is intending to put designers in a box by defining some PDS
standard references or benchmarks.  The idea is to agree on some common
structures.  Based on that, we can intelligently evaluate our own
deviations from the standards.

-mark

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org