[SI-LIST] Re: SERDES CDR with asynchronous reference clock?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bowden, Ivor" <ibowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:23:21 -0800

Ivor, yes that is pretty much it.  When the channel detects data loss,
the VCO locks to the local clock in order to reduce lock time when data
reappears.  As long as each transmitter operates within the absolute
clock tolerance the channel works.  Ethernet has worked this way for a
long time.  The disadvantage of distributing clocks through trees is
jitter accumulation.

Steve.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net