[SI-LIST] Re: SERDES CDR with asynchronous reference clock?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bowden, Ivor" <ibowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:42:44 -0800

Ivor, the receive CDR phase locks onto the incoming data stream and
dumps the data into an elastic store:  FIFO.  The Rx clock controls data
transfer after buffered CDR.  Channel utilization is under 100% by more
than 2X the clock tolerance.  Therefore a transmit stream will never
exceed the receiving end's ability to absorb the data.

Steve.
Bowden, Ivor wrote:
> Hi SI people,
>

> Can someone offer an explanation how a SERDES CDR can recover data with an
> asynchronous reference clock? Example is PCI-Express (reference PCI EXPRESS
> BASE SPECIFICATION, REV 2.1 section 4.3.7.5. "Separate Refclk Architecture"),
> where Refclk #1 drives the TX circuit and Refclk #2 drives the RX circuit.
> How does this CDR circuit work? I thought that even if they were separate
> clocks they'd have to be frequency locked, and a PCI-SIG presentation
> indicates they can be +/-300ppm each.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ivor Bowden

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are proprietary and intended
> solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If
> you have reason to believe that you have received this e-mail in error,
> please notify the sender and destroy this email and any attached files.
> Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely
> those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the
> Curtiss-Wright Corporation or any of its subsidiaries.  Documents attached
> hereto may contain technology subject to government export regulations.
> Recipient is solely responsible for ensuring that any re-export, transfer or
> disclosure of this information is in accordance with applicable government
> export regulations.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any
> attachments for the presence of viruses. Curtiss-Wright Corporation and its
> subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus
> transmitted by this e-mail.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: