[SI-LIST] Re: SA12E Vil and Vih

  • From: "D. C. Sessions" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:58:52 -0700

On Thursday 03 January 2002 12:42, you wrote:
# Sorry, I meant HSTL buffers as used in IBM SA12E. The HSTL
# spec is EIA/JESD8-6, which gives Vil(ac) = Vref-0.20 and
# Vih(ac) = Vref+0.20 on page 3. But this is an Aug 1995 spec,
# and I now think this is a case where a vendor is simply
# guaranteeing tighter switching as Andrew suggests.

Sounds like.  If it really matters, I can ask the gent in charge
of their library development.

If I were building HSTL buffers in 120 nm technology, I'd certainly
have a *very* tight AC threshold set, because I'd be using huge
input transistors with low currents into low impedances to get
high speed with mimimal first-stage Miller effect and power.
The high gain/bandwidth product comes nearly free in 120 nm,
but you have to watch out to make sure you don't damage the
transistors with HSTL's relatively high voltages.

# "D. C. Sessions" wrote:
# >
# > On Friday 28 December 2001 07:08, mike@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
# > # IBM specifies Vil and Vih for SA12E technology as 0.1V below and above
the reference voltage. But the JEDEC specification for the same uses 0.2V above
and below the reference. Any opinions on which values to use for worst case
timing analysis?
# >
# > Mike, could you clarify the JEDEC spec in question?
# > SA12E isn't to my knowledge a JEDEC specification.
# > (JEDEC specs are JESD* )
# >
# > --
# > | The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. |
# > | Because the slow, feeble old codgers like me cheat.                |
# > +--------------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> --------------+
# > ------------------------------------------------------------------
# > To unsubscribe from si-list:
# >
# > or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
# > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
# >
# > For help:
# > si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
# >
# > List archives are viewable at:
# >                 //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
# > or at our remote archives:
# > Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
# >                 http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
# >
#
#

--
| The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. |
| Because the slow, feeble old codgers like me cheat.                |
+--------------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> --------------+

List archives are viewable at: