[SI-LIST] Re: SA12E Vil and Vih

  • From: "Lynne Green" <lgreen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rajat.chauhan@xxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:02:47 -0500

Hello, Rajat,

There is a lot of information on this in si-list emails in the archive.
So this is just a quick summary to get you started.

Take the sum of your delays:
Sum for the signal path (either one chip to the next, or =
latch-to-latch):
(internal_chips + I/Os + pkgs + tlines + setup/hold times + jitters + =
safety margin)
must be less than max_allowed

Some of these delays may come from simulation, others from datasheets.
Delays are data-dependent; rising and falling delays are usually not =
equal.
Always take the biggest delay for each term.  If you can afford to =
simulate
the entire path, your worst-case number may be faster, since there is
some interaction between the various stages (particularly for =
latch-to-latch
simulations).

* max_allowed is set by your maximum signaling rate, signaling delay =
path,
and setup/hold requirements at the receiver.
* If your I/O timing is taken at the core_ref voltage on the core =
interface pins
and at VREF on the pad, you have clean timing references for the driver.
* If your output is timed from the pad at VREF and your receiver pad is =
timed at Vinh/Vinl,
you have clean timing references for the tline delay and package delays. =
 If these
are timed from the package pins, you need to add in the package delay =
separately.
* If your chip input (receiver stage) is timed from Vinh/Vinl at the =
input pad to
the chip's core_ref, you have clean timing through the receiver.  Note =
that the driving
and receiving chips do not need to have the same core_ref.
* Watch out for chip timing tables taken at some core_ref, while I/O =
timing taken
from some other voltage (from data_core to pad).  This can lead to =
timing errors at=20
drivers and/or receivers.
* package delay: needs to include any ringing or settling time effects =
due to package
impedances, which in turn depends on whether on-pkg and/or on-die =
terminations are=20
used.
* jitter: how much jitter is tolerated (or expected) depends on things =
like the=20
bit-error-rate you need and the circuit design (especially the PLL).  =
While jitter
never has a "max" value (spikes will occur), it does have predictable =
characteristics.

The safety margin addresses all uncertainty in the accuracy of your =
numbers.
How much of a safety margin to leave, and how to adjust it for what you =
know is=20
unknown, is an engineering design art.  What we used 20 years ago is =
useless
for today's designs.  The only thing I can safely say is a zero for =
safety margin
means there is a risk the design could work intermittently, unless all =
of your other
numbers are safely conservative.

The best trick I ever learned was to draw a "timing diagram" showing the =
transitions,
and marking on each transition where the timing was measured for the =
incoming and
outgoing signals.  This makes it easy to see where there are mismatches =
in the
timing definitions.  do one for riding and one for falling, to keep the =
picture from getting
too cluttered.

Best regards,
Lynne