[SI-LIST] Re: S parameter to time domain signal

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:43:04 -0700

Hi Ron,

There is some inaccuracy in your statement.
First of all, neither of the products mentioned by Bill are with
behavioral simulators only. S-parameter support in HyperLynx and others
is made through ELDO kernel that is a TRUE circuit simulator, with all
conventional models included.

>ALL THE SIMULATION TOOLS YOU USE, USE ONLY A SINGLE FREQUENCY
ATTENUATION >FACTOR FOR ANY OF THE S-PARAMETERS..

>Only ADS uses a convolution of the impuse response obtained from the
S->Parameters to convert the the model back into the time domain..
Anything >less is only an approximation.

Funny to read this after working on this S-parameter code - CPF  -
personally and spending years verifying simulation accuracy. Currently,
the model we have supports 3 different methods: direct convolution (by
finding impulse response by IFFT), recursive convolution or CPF, with
pole/residue representation of the dependence, and the system
identification method.

How about the following: defining arbitrary multiport consisting of many
RLC components, controlled sources, W-elements, other S-parameters, then
generating the entire S/Y/Z parameters for this multiport. After that,
replacing the original linear multiport with the S-model created and
performing time domain simulation. The results are undistinguishable if
compared to the time domain simulation when the original RLC...
multiport.
Even better: simulation time is reduced because internal nodes/elements
are excluded and accuracy is higher for larger step... because LTE is
excluded, too. Number of ports: 40, 68, 158, 226... etc.

Vladimir