[SI-LIST] Re: Routing guidelines for 3.12Gbps LVDS pairs

  • From: Hassan O. Ali <hassan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:10:33 -0400

          BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
Our layout folks here have no problem matching to within +/-1mil, and
that is the spec we use! But we don't usually have many diffpairs - 32
at most.

        I guess the 60ps XAUI interconnect skew allocation is for signal
integrity/timing purposes. In a real system, where EMI may also be of
concern, a 60ps skew with all its common-mode voltage/current
implications may be too much.

        Best regards.

        Hassan.
 On Tue 10/20/09 11:41 AM , Vinu Arumugham vinu@xxxxxxxxx sent:
  The 3.125Gbps XAUI spec. allocates 60ps for interconnect skew. So as
Lee
 wrote, in theory 300 mil skew is acceptable. However, I agree with
Jeff
 Loyer's approach. If it is easy to do +/-2.5 mil matching, the rest
is
 margin for other impairments that are more difficult to control.
 Thanks,
 Vinu
 Nash, Timothy J wrote:
 > I agree with that rule of thumb, except...
 >
 > Many layout folks complain that we sometimes over-constrain our
designs. That is to say, whether hand-routed or auto-routed, the DRC
constraints can be prohibitive - especially when dealing with wide
matched-length differential busses on minimal layer counts. I think it
is important to keep in mind that there is no magic number, rather the
number is a function of the characteristics of the interface. I would
agree that if you are only trying to match a few diff pairs or you
have more than enough routing layers then matching to +/- 2.5 mils is
a non-issue. But, why make it difficult matching to +/- 2.5 mils when
100 mils would suffice? The bottom line is, rules of thumb can be
dangerous if we forget the caveats associated with them.

 > Tim

forever,
 > I've taken a more pragmatic approach. I have my CAD folks use
+/-2.5 mils
 > for ALL their differential pairs. This seems to be the quickest for
all
 > involved.
 >
 > 1) CAD folks tell me that if they're going to match within 100
mils,
 > matching within 2.5 mils isn't much different. They don't care.
 > 2) They use the same constraints for ALL diff pairs - less chance
for
 > messing that up, much quicker. They like that, A LOT!!!
 > 3) I don't spend any time worrying that they didn't match some diff
pair
 > correctly, including accounting for multiple boards, etc.
 >
 > Of course, it does have the detrimental effect of lessening my
workload and
 > hence my innate value (providing expert guidance on exactly how
much
 > matching is required for each bus), but I'll take it. I have more
job
 > security when the design is done more reliably and quickly.
 >
 > Does it make anyone else giggle that someone is hoping we'll
provide a
 > complete Design Guide via e-mail? I would suggest to the original
poster
 > that you'll need some other means to supply all the guidelines
you'll need
 > to properly design a high-speed interface. Asking for specific
 > clarification is one thing, to ask for all the guidelines necessary
for a
 > complete design is another.
 >
 > My $0.02...
 >
 > Jeff Loyer

each
 >>> board (so total could be 300 mils in that case)? The thread below
says
 >>> "matched at the receiver", which implies total, so the 100 mils
should
 >>> be budgeted through 3 boards.
 >>>
 >>> Regards,
 >>> Jim Peterson
 >>> Honeywell

itself.
 >>> 100mils translates to about 16ps skew. That corresponds to a 64ns
Tr/Tf

 >>> for a 3.125G link which is a little to the outside, but it is not

 >>> horrible. I would rephrase Lee's advice as: Don't take any
 >>> extraordinary measures to match closer than 1/4 Tr/Tf as seen at
the
 >>> receiver. The longer the link, the slower Tr/Tf will be. There is
 >>> good treatment on this in Eric Bogatin's "Signal Integrity
Simplified".

 >>> If you get very tight matching truly for free, then fine. But
obsessing

 >>> about mechanical match to tight tolerances does not improve the
design.

 >>> It can in fact harm it if the matching is done with dense
serpentines
 >>> which introduce their own dispersion and timing skew that is not
 >>> properly accounted in some tools.
 >>>
 >>> 2) Continuous return path is very important. Diff tolerates
obscenities

 >>> like crossing moats, but at undesirable costs. The best answer is
don't

 >>> interrupt the return path.
 >>>
 >>> 3) Surface ground guards are more often unintended resonators
than of
 >>> specific value. See if the cross-talk can be satisfied with
spacing.
 >>> If it can't, then consider alternatives.
 >>>
 >>> 4) I am not clear on what you are trying to recommend. Are you
talking
 >>> about termination at both ends of the link, or even and odd mode
 >>> terminations?
 >>>
 >>> 5) An appropriate stitch density helps with EMC and signal
integrity.
 >>> Follow Bruce Archambeault's hierarchy on layer assignments and
your life

 >>> will be good:
 >>> i. Route on one layer that faces a contiguous plane.
 >>> ii. Switch between layers on either side of the same contiguous
plane.
 >>> iii. Switch between layers that reference planes on the same DC
 >>> potential that are adequately stitched together. This is often
 >>> misunderstood as needing to assign a return stitch via near each
 >>> transition. The point is to raise the resonant frequency of the
 >>> structure sufficiently so that it won't be a problem to the
signal.
 >>> iv. If you must switch between layers that are stitched with
bypass caps

 >>> and planar capacitance. Be wary of PDN resonances in the signal
 >>> frequency range. These will tend to occur at much lower frequency
than
 >>> cavity resonances.
 >>>
 >>> Steve.

 >>> below 100mils;

 >>> 100ohm and the ground return path must not be choped ;

differential

 >>> trace width away from the differantial pairs,which can not
influences
 >>> the differential pairs impedance and avoid crosstalk issues;

 >>> debug ;

 >>> a groung via near the signal via ;

 >>> decide the rules of matching resistors and crosstalk;

 >>> as

 >>> does.

LVDS

 >>> pairs

 >>> share

 >>> while

 >>> pairs

 >>> get

Subject field

Subject field

Subject field

Subject field

Subject field

 >>> --
 >>> Steve Weir
 >>> IPBLOX, LLC
 >>> 150 N. Center St. #211
 >>> Reno, NV 89501
 >>> (866) 675-4630 Business
 >>> (707) 780-1951 Fax
 >>> http://www.ipblox.com [61]
 >>> A Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC Partner
 >>>
 >>> Teraspeed Consulting Group
 >>> 121 North River Drive
 >>> Narragansett, RI 02882
 >>> (401) 284-1827 Business
 >>> (401) 284-1840 Fax
 >>>
 >>> Teraspeed Labs
 >>> 13610 SW Harness Lane
 >>> Beaverton, OR 97008
 >>> (503) 430-1065 Business
 >>> (503) 430-1285 Fax
 >>> A Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC Partner
 >>>
 >>> http://www.teraspeed.com [62]
 >>>
 >>> This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual
property
 >>> of IPBLOX LLC

Subject field

 >>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list [64]
 >>>
 >>> For help:
 >>> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [65] with 'help' in the Subject
field

 >>> List technical documents are available at:
 >>> http://www.si-list.net [66]
 >>>
 >>> List archives are viewable at:
 >>> //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list [67]
 >>> or at our remote archives:
 >>> http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu [69]

Subject field

 >>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list [71]
 >>>
 >>> For help:
 >>> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [72] with 'help' in the Subject
field

 >>> List technical documents are available at:
 >>> http://www.si-list.net [73]
 >>>
 >>> List archives are viewable at:
 >>> //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list [74]
 >>> or at our remote archives:
 >>> http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu [76]

Subject field

 >> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list [78]
 >>
 >> For help:
 >> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [79] with 'help' in the Subject
field

 >> List technical documents are available at:
 >> http://www.si-list.net [80]
 >>
 >> List archives are viewable at:
 >> //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list [81]
 >> or at our remote archives:
 >> http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu [83]
 >>

 > --
 > Steve Weir
 > IPBLOX, LLC
 > 150 N. Center St. #211
 > Reno, NV 89501
 > (866) 675-4630 Business
 > (707) 780-1951 Fax
 > http://www.ipblox.com [84]
 > A Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC Partner
 >
 > Teraspeed Consulting Group
 > 121 North River Drive
 > Narragansett, RI 02882
 > (401) 284-1827 Business
 > (401) 284-1840 Fax
 >
 > Teraspeed Labs
 > 13610 SW Harness Lane
 > Beaverton, OR 97008
 > (503) 430-1065 Business
 > (503) 430-1285 Fax
 > A Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC Partner
 >
 > http://www.teraspeed.com [85]
 >
 > This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual
property of
 > IPBLOX LLC

Subject field

 > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list [87]