[SI-LIST] Re: Ring back

  • From: <art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <madhusudhan@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:23:24 -0600

I would argue that there is a difference. Undershoot is defined by the =
IEEE in standard 181-2003 as "3.1.49 undershoot: A waveform aberration =
within a post-transition aberration region or pre-transition aberration =
region that is less than the lower state boundary for the associated =
state level." In layman's terms, undershoot does not require a preceding =
overshoot. Ringback to me, again in simple laymans' terminology, is the =
first (or lowest) dip AFTER an initial overshoot. "Ringback" to me =
implies that there is some resonance, so one would expect to see a =
damped sinusoid following a transition.

There is no IEEE standard definition for "Ringback," but I believe it =
has been defined in some semiconductor manufacturers' data sheets and =
app notes. =20

Art Porter
Agilent Technologies =20