[SI-LIST] Re: Ring back

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 19:44:20 -0400

As long as I remember in my world, ringback was defined to be the
voltage excursion of the ringing that follows a transition of an
underdamped system.  For a low to high transition it is the minimum
value of the ringing that occurs after positive overshoot.  For a high
to low transition it is the maximum value of the ringing that occurs
after negative overshoot (sometimes called undershoot).
Since I was in the Intel processor world for many years, it would not be
surprising to find that similar definitions are used by the manufacture
IA processors.  For those that are interested, here's the definition of
Ringback from a Pentium II processor specification.

3.3.2. RINGBACK SPECIFICATION
Ringback refers to the amount of reflection seen after
a signal has switched. The ringback specification is
the voltage that the signal rings back to after
achieving its maximum absolute value.

And here's the definition from the AMD K6 processor I/O model specification

Ringback ---In the case of a rising waveform, the difference
between the nominal I/O VCC voltage and the minimum
voltage of a signal after that signal has reached its maximum
value. In the case of a falling waveform, ringback is the
difference between the maximum voltage of a signal after
that signal has reached its minimum value and ground (See
Figures 4 and 5). Excessive ringing can cause the destination
receiver to falsely switch if the signal traverses the switching
threshold of the receiver

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Lee Ritchey wrote:
> Doug,
>
> I refer you to my reply of earlier where I cite pages in a book by Hall,
> Hall and McCall that gives a printed definition of ringback.  Perhaps there
> are others.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org