[SI-LIST] Re: Right Angle Bends

  • From: Jack Olson <pcbjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:52:48 -0500

Thanks very much, Scott
You have tools and knowledge that I never encounter here at my job (our
designs have different constraints than many "SI-Listers", so I shouldn't
have spewed my "real world" comment. Sorry)
but...

I would like to save this discussion for future reference, and since we are
closer to nailing this down, could you make one further comment about 45
degree bends if anything needs to be said about that? I don't think I've
ever truly used a 90 degree bend in trace routing yet (24 years) although I
can see 90 degree features in almost every design (like vias and exiting
from rectangular pads, for example), but even our serpentine tuning uses
round apertures and rounded bends (Mentor).

That's why I had the assumption that talking about square apertures and 90
bends (in trace routing) was only a mathematical exercise

Since it is difficult for our CAD system to make "the optimal RF miter", we
would probably use two 45 degree bends. Does anything need to be said about
using round apertures with 45 degree bends? That's what I've seen in most
board trace routing, except for the older tape-up designs.

Thanks again for sharing your work,
Jack

.

List technical documents are available at: