[SI-LIST] Re: Right Angle Bends

  • From: "Kevin G. Rhoads" <kgrhoads@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:30:19 -0400

>After all, young engineers
>trust senior engineers to vet what they say to make sure it is valid before
>they say it - and they have a right to expect this.

I remember a few years ago when I first bumped into this topicon this list.

I am an SI novice.  I do analog, E&M and some speed digital.  I studied field
theory extensively back when I was a grad student (specializing in Continuum
Electromechanics) but never had to work with hgih speed digital.

I believed the right angle thing, as was disabused of that misconception
those years ago from the SI discussion then.

You want closed form analytic solutions to del-squared equations in weirdo
coordinate systems?  I can do that!  But when it comes to building systems,
you need to know what works and what don't.

These days I do plasma physics instrumentation for a Physics group at Dartmouth
that puts instruments on rockets that NASA supplies.  We have students do much
of the building, with help, of course, and then we test and test and test.
I always want to make sure that what I tell the students is real-world-valid.

When I do HV stuff, I do know to avoid sharp corners, but  for signal traces ...

_______________________________________-

I've been working at Dartmouth College for the last 8+ years with
a group that investigates aurora (and related stuff) by shooting
instruments on rockets through the aurora.  Here are some rocket
related photo links, and some links to old technical books I've
posted on line.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~aurora/personnel/rhoads.html

Rocket stuff:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007194&id=1338500958&l=8e797b638b