[SI-LIST] Re: Right Angle Bends

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:51:52 -0700

Howard,

As we all know, the fact that something is in print does not mean it is
valid.  I've read all of those books you list and have them in my library.
As far as I can tell, few of them validate their analysis with actual lab
tests that correlate with the kinds of structures all of us are task with
building every day and the topic of this thread.

I can site other books that simply make claims about right angle bends
without any analysis at all.  That is the reason the 90 degree corner
testing was done and published.

We have presented a series of tests that represent real world structures
that directly correlate with this thread showing that this rule is a myth.
So far, no one had presented any test results that contradict them including
yourself.  That is where the rubber meets the road.

As to differential pairs, I've got dozens of those as well that can be
measured and have been.  Same result.

This thread has had the result I hoped for.  It has exposed a very large
number of nebulous reasons why right angle bends can be a problem and no
proofs the reasons are true..

Now, it is time for us to get on with rules that are significant and stop
wasting time on something that is of no consequence.

If this has stepped on anyone's toes or embarrassed them because of the
position they have taken, I apologize and urge them to leave their egos at
home and start espousing rules that are valid.  After all, young engineers
trust senior engineers to vet what they say to make sure it is valid before
they say it - and they have a right to expect this.

I started this thread at the urging of many engineers who have had to put up
with management or "distinguished engineers" who have been forcing this rule
on their staffs, often with threats if they did not accept it.

I've got a few others that I'll probably bring up as time goes by for the
same reasons.  So brace yourselves if you are clinging to bad rules of
thumb!

This is great forum!  Too bad it doesn't reach more engineers!

Lee Ritchey
Just an engineer who learned the hard way and does not accept rules without
solid proof.
You might say I'm from Missouri the show me state!