[SI-LIST] Re: Return path for stripline between two power planes

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:37:39 -0700

Joel, this is another "depends" situation.  The way that I suggest to
look at this is to start with the driver and follow the transmission
path from the silicon through its package and to the PCB.  If that
path is couples equally to Vcc and Vss, then continuing that
structure through the PCB introduces the minimum disturbance to the
transmission path.  But, in systems that often have several to many
voltages, that is a bit impractical. From a standpoint of signal
propagation we are concerned with:

1) The impedance continuity of the path.  A terminated nonvarying
impedance from driver to destination means that we won't have to
contend with reflections.

2) Reference at the destination.

Tight coupling between Vdd and Vss at the driver allows the driver
output to reference either rail or a combination going through the
package.  When the signal gets out of the package we need to get it
into the wave guide we are using.  If part or all of the signal
energy is imaged against Vdd and we want to use Vss, then we need
tight coupling on the board near the package between those two.  The
same goes for the reverse situation.  Once the signal launches down
our wave guide, as long as we maintain a constant impedance, it
continues on its merry way and doesn't care what is behind it.  At
the far end of the line we have a voltage difference between the
metal that defines our signal trace and our image plane.  If the
image plane is the same as the reference used by the IC, we are all
set.  If the IC references something else, then once again we need to
couple between the image plane and now the receiver IC's reference
voltage rail close to the IC.  Voila!  We have a signaling path.

I have some decent graphics on this in my 2005 SVCEMC
presentation.  You can get it from either the Teraspeed or the X2Y
web sites:  www.teraspeed.com, www.x2y.com

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: