[SI-LIST] Re: Resistors to use for DDR termination

  • From: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: dp@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:37:35 -0700

Dimiter,
With your experience of organic simulation, you may not really need any
help.  However, based on your description of topology (less than 2"
point-to-point trace length and 4 resistors per line), I can safely state
that you are over-designing your system.  If you care to do actual
simulation, you may be able to do with one series resistor per line.  Just
imagine how much component count and board you will save with a little
time spent on simulation.  So, as others have already pointed out,
simulation is the word for any high-speed application.  However, if cost
or board space is no issue with you then you can stay with your organic
simulator.

Regards, Ravinder
Server PCB Development
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

Email: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Dimiter Popoff" <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/12/2005 08:37 AM
Please respond to
dp@xxxxxxxxxxx

si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[SI-LIST] Re: Resistors to use for DDR termination

Scott,
I have done more designs than I care to rememeber and none of them needed
a redesign.
By just looking at the board I have more simulation results available than
a simulator could
provide in most cases - and this is one of these most cases. For the few
ones where
simulation is needed, my organic simulator will alert me on the spot.
  It is just because I am going low risk that I have put 4 resistors per
line, even though
all these lines are < 2 inches long, no connectors between. Now tell me I
need to simulate
that... I am not a customer of consulting firms, in fact I have been/am
doing designs for
other companies myself. All I am wondering about is what other people who
have _designed_
actual borads do use as resitors - a handfull of 0603, 0402, what? Where
do I get them?
Any suitable arrays? I did try searching without much luck, otherwise I
would not have
asked this...

Dimiter
Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com