[SI-LIST] Repeaters in DSM interconnects

  • From: manthos labropoulos <manthoslmp@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:14:38 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all

I have a problem and i would like your help.

I am trying to observe how repeaters(buffers)
influence propagation delay of signals in DSM
interconnects.

However it is supposed repeaters to decrease the total
propagation delay (if used in a sofisticated way), i
always take an increase in the total propagation
delay.

I am modeling interconnects with either an RC or with
an RLC model. For example i am inserting a buffer in
the middle of a 5000um long conductor and i am
comparing it with the delay of a 5000um long
unbuffered interconnect (in both cases inverters are
placed as the driver and the receiver). The
propagation delay in the case of the buffered
interconnect is longer.
Can you explain it to me ?
Is it supposed the delay to be decreased since the
delay depends on the l^2 (where l is the length of the
intherconnect) ?

I am using inverters of equal or more strength in the
buffers  (for the buffer i am connecting an even
number of inverters in series, usualy 2 inverters).

Where do you think the problem may be ?

Thanks for your time.
Matheos

List archives are viewable at: