[SI-LIST] Re: Remove Ground underneath Differential signal isdeserved or not?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: silist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:59:03 -0700

Lee,

> What I show in my class is that guard traces are always LC networks that
> resonate at some frequency and can and do turn into bandpass filters
> at some
> frequencies.  I demonstrate this will actual failed circuits.

This is exactly why Mike Conn and myself recommend stitching guard
traces to ground at random intervals across the length.  The average
spacing of the via sites should be 1/10 of the wavelength of the fast
signal frequency or equivalent risetime that will be present on this
trace.  These stitch vias to ground will eliminate the problems which
you have alluded to.  They are backed by extremely good analytical and
experimental science.

Best regards,

Scott

--