[SI-LIST] Re: Rembrandt versus Art Barn

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:20:10 -0700

Joel, it's certainly the exception rather than the rule.   Intel, and
IBM both provide adequate information at least for certain ICs.  Altera
is getting pretty close.  I expect they will be there sometime in 2009.
I am hoping to get there sometime this year with certain chips from Micron.

If a manufacturer provides impedance versus frequency profile for power
impedance ( ideally both magnitude and phase ), and a specification for
noise sensitivity, then you can do your job.  The first and most
embarrassing question that I think should be directed at each and every
apps dept is:  "What metrics are your PDN recommendations based on?"
The corollary question to every sales rep who comes in the door should
be:  "I am very interested in using your chip.  I won't be able to do
that without basic power delivery metrics.  I might consider your chip
without that information if your company will indemnify us for any
losses we suffer due to PDN related problems with your chip."

Many times yes, the PDN recommendations from a chip supplier are total
junk built as assumptions on top of assumptions on top of assumptions.

The "you might just be a redneck if..." is an old schtick of the
comedian Jeff Foxworthy.  For instance:  "If you go to family reunions
looking for dates, then you might just be a redneck."

My fear for the industry is that sooner or later the barracudas with
briefcases will see the $400 billion per year IC industry and realize
that from a legal standpoint they can readily show that most PDNs are
designed negligently.  In most cases, no one from the IC manufacturer to
the OEM can typically show any analysis that the power system is
actually going to work reliably.  All they need is some automobile with
Microsoft Vista Embedded Defect Edition, or one of those Skytanic 380s
to be involved in one or a series of crashes and it's going to be a
combination of the tobacco and ADA shakedown lawsuits all over again.

Best Regards,

Steve.

>>> www.prodesign-europe.com

--
Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: