[SI-LIST] Re: 回复: Re: [SI-LIST] differential signal in g (common-mode)

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bi Han <mike_bihan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, List` Si <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:39:25 -0700

Bi,  no, the common is considered to be far enough away from the conductors
that they have negligible coupling to it.  That's not all that accurate,
because in a wiring duct there are many parallel cables that will all act
like the common.  Note that an application like Ethernet, common mode
magnetics tend to be very important in suppressing unbalanced common
currents to a common,  ( ie victim antenna ).  I believe that Dr. Johnson
published at least one article on this with a nice illustration.
If you examine an Ethernet transformer configuration, you will see that it
includes a common mode termination.  Often this is a high voltage capacitor
in series with a termination resistor to common.

When we use a transformer, up to the point that the transformer breaks
down, a perfect transformer would block all CM.  However, any real
transformer has imperfect coupling match.  Real transformers suffer the
problem of mode conversion, where some of the signal energy actually gets
converted into common mode noise, and some common mode noise ends up
getting converted to apparent signal energy.  The CM choke helps with both
of those problems within a limited frequency range.  But ultimately, we
have to do something to  dissipate the CM energy.

Steve

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: 7976450e.jpg

List FAQ wiki page is located at: