[SI-LIST] Re: Questions about interplane capacitance

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:14:56 -0400

Joel,

Just one quick comments to the good summary from Steve:

While considering planes and bypass capacitors in terms of effective
capacitances and inductances is a
valid approach, we need to keep in mind that focusing on the capacitive
or inductive nature of parts
without looking at the wider picture misses a very important and useful
class of solutions, namely that
of matched transmission lines.  As it was pointed out earlier several
times on the SI list, the best
(self) impedance for a power distribution network is a resistive one,
neither capacitive, nor inductive.
We can get resistive impedance from a matched transmission line,
regardless of its capacitance and
inductance, and in such cases the notion of 'service area' of parts
become meaningless: you can put
bypass components further away from the active devices without
sacrificing performance.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems