[SI-LIST] Re: Question about S-Parameter theory

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zabinski, Patrick" <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>, "Rolf" <rofini1975@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:57:13 -0700

Rolf,
Forgot to add that the length of line that you are testing is important
also. With 50 ohm terminations on a 60 ohm line you get a repetitive S11
like Patrick said.  Ex: at 1GHz S11 has minimums at 2GHz, 4GHz, 6GHz..etc:
given that the electrical length of the line is lambda/4 (90deg).  At 180
deg you have mimimums at 2,3,4,5 GHz.  The longer the line the more mimimums
you get.  The impedance difference between the terminations and the line
under test determines the maximum value of S11.  The greater the difference
between the two, the greater the magnitude of the S11 maxima.

Ken