[SI-LIST] Re: Q on Trace Width and Jitter for Diff Pairs

  • From: "Cuchulain" <jlipsius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:34:07 -0700

Charles,

Well, dang, it's just that dispersion thing.  For any bit sequence, a spectrum
of frequencies is
present.

So, you have ISI due to freq. dependent loss.  ISI will change at different
positions in the
pattern, and will be different for each pattern.  There is even a small
freq.-dependence
of velocity on a single layer, since Dk has some freq dependence.  The result
is DJ, the
jitter of edges due to data pattern-dependent loss.

A wider trace will reduce the skin effect's contribution, but the dielectric
loss portion is
still there.  Changes in layer, microstrip to stripline, also contribute due to
the velocity
difference between the two and the vias, which introduce reflection, insertion
loss and
- at some point - resonance.  More DJ.

The "contradiction" isn't real, but imaginary  --- now lose that loss tangent.
 :-0

-John