[SI-LIST] Power supply inductors and EMI beads

  • From: "Alex Achey" <alexachey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:50:00 -0400

Hello all,
   I'm a relatively new engineer still wet behind the ears with this EMI and
noise stuff.  I'm trying to figure out where is and is not an appropriate place
to put power choke coils, power filtering, and EMI beads.  I have a board I'm
putting an FPGA on with some other stuff which generates a moderate amount of
digital noise, along with my regulators to get my 12V input down to 5/3.3/1.5V.
 Should I be putting a choke coil on the power supply + input only or the
ground (-) input also?  Should I tie my signal ground to chassis ground with my
mounting hardware?  Are EMI supression beads appropriate for both power and
ground inputs from the supply?  I apologize if these are really basic or "dumb"
questions but I can't seem to figure this out.

 Thanks,
   Alex

List archives are viewable at: