[SI-LIST] Re: Power delivery model with real GND ports ?

  • From: "Aubrey Sparkman" <asparky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'steve weir'" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Haller, Motti'" <motti.haller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:52:35 -0600

Steve,

Let me ask you to reconsider based on your own comments.  IF the customer is
asking for a more accurate package model from Intel, they would probably
want all the node 0 connections to be in the PCB with Vdd and Vss
connections somewhat like a signal, because, as you said below, using a node
0 connection in the package would short out real power distribution issues.

There was some work in the mid 90s with simulation and measurement
techniques where a temporary ground was used for peripheral leaded parts
such that all pins were treated as signals which allowed a full matrix
without the use of node 0.  Look for stuff related to JEDEC JC-15.  Also,
there was some work and a paper by Bryan Young on the math to transform the
inductance matrix from one with a temporary ground to one where the matrix
was reduced by identifying specific pins as ground.  But at the time,
"single lump" models were sufficient.

I think the technique for using a temporary ground for the package is still
valid, but I haven't tested recently.  Certainly the transform math gets way
more complex when the phase difference across the package is no longer very
small at the bandwidth frequency.

Aubrey Sparkman
512-461-6165
asparky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx