[SI-LIST] Re: Power and Ground Plane area

  • From: "Chris McGrath" <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:17:28 -0500

In a recent discussion with our layout house, they mentioned that they
had recently had some training that stated that the return currents can
begin to return beneath the trace (path of least inductance) at
frequencies in the kHz range.  I am in the process of trying to get
access to some of that literature to better understand the parameters of
the discussion including the edge rate.

Has anybody else heard this and have any literature to share (or links
to it)?  Usually, the return current is stated to follow the path of
least resistance at "low frequencies" (including in the Dr.Johnson
seminar notes) but I don't recall really reading anything about where
the crossover occurs.

-Chris

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: